- Prep Time 40 min
- Total Time 2 hr 50 min
- box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® German chocolate cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
Filling and Topping
- 1 1/2
- cups sugar
- cup butter
- can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- egg yolks
- package (7 oz) flaked coconut (2 2/3 cups)
- cups chopped pecans
- teaspoons vanilla
- cup Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy chocolate frosting (from 1-lb container)
- 1 Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottoms only of 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with shortening. Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for 9-inch round pans, using water, oil and eggs. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely.
- 2 In 3-quart heavy saucepan, mix sugar, butter, milk and egg yolks. Heat to simmering over medium heat, stirring frequently. Cook 9 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut, pecans and vanilla. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 3 Cut each cake layer horizontally into 2 layers. On serving plate, place 1 layer, cut side up. Spread with about 1 1/3 cups filling. Repeat with second and third layers and 2 2/3 cups filling.
- 4 With serrated knife, cut remaining cake layer into 1 1/2-inch-wide strips. Cut strips into irregular pieces. Place cake pieces randomly over filling to cover top of cake, pressing gently into cake and fitting snugly together. Refrigerate cake several hours before serving, if desired.
- 5 In small microwavable bowl, microwave frosting 10 seconds on High until thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle over top of cake. Store covered in refrigerator.