- boxes Betty Crocker® Gluten Free devil’s food cake mix
- Water, butter and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 1 1/2
- teaspoons gluten-free almond extract
- cups whipping cream
- cup powdered sugar
- teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- teaspoons gluten-free vanilla
- cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- cup coarsely chopped gluten-free candied almonds
- 1Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Generously grease bottoms only of 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with shortening.
- 2Make cake mix as directed on box, using water, butter and eggs and stirring in almond extract. Bake as directed. Cool 10 minutes; run knife around edge of pans to loosen. Remove cakes from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 3In chilled large bowl, beat whipping cream, powdered sugar, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold in pumpkin.
- 4Cut each cake horizontally to make 2 layers. Place 1 bottom layer, cut side up, on serving plate; top with one-fourth of the whipped cream mixture. Top with another cake layer, cut side down. Top with one-fourth of whipped cream mixture. Repeat with remaining 2 layers and whipped cream mixture. Sprinkle with almonds. Refrigerate 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate any remaining torte.