- Prep Time 40 min
- Total Time 2 hr 0 min
- eggs, separated
- cup granulated sugar
- teaspoon instant coffee granules or crystals
- tablespoon warm water
- oz bittersweet baking chocolate, melted, cooled
- tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- cup whipping cream
- tablespoons powdered sugar
- cup white crème de menthe
- Fresh mint sprigs, if desired
- 1 Heat oven to 325°F (300°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease 15x10x1-inch pan with butter. Line bottom of pan with waxed paper; grease paper with butter.
- 2 In large bowl, beat egg yolks with electric mixer on high speed until fluffy. Gradually add 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar, beating on high speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon colored. In small bowl, stir coffee granules in water until dissolved. Add cooled chocolate and coffee to egg yolk mixture; beat on low speed until blended, scraping bowl occasionally.
- 3 In another large bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold one-fourth of the egg whites into chocolate batter to lighten. Fold in remaining egg whites. Sift flour over batter; fold in flour until blended. Pour batter into pan. With metal spatula, gently spread batter to edges of pan.
- 4 Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center. Sprinkle top of cake with 3 tablespoons of the cocoa. Cover cake with a slightly damp kitchen towel; cool completely. Turn cake upside down onto kitchen towel; carefully remove waxed paper. Sprinkle cake with remaining 3 tablespoons cocoa.
chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high
speed until foamy. Add powdered sugar and crème de menthe; beat until
stiff peaks form. Spread over cake. Beginning at one short side, roll up
cake, using towel to help roll. Sprinkle with additional cocoa, if
desired. Garnish with mint. Store covered in refrigerator.